Monopole | Two Hatted European-style wine bar in Sydney

 

It's been around 3-4 months since lockdown 2.0 was re-introduced in Sydney as the Delta variant started to spread across our nation. Luckily a couple weeks before the lockdown was reintroduced, my friends and I were super lucky to have squeezed in a nice dinner at Monopole. Monopole serves modern European food, cheese platters and has over 500 wine selections, with an elegant atmosphere and establishment in the heart of Sydney CBD. Now with restrictions easing, and everyone coming back out again, the only challenge will be getting a table!


I came across this restaurant as I was casually scrolling on Instagram and saw a dish that caught my eye, which really made me want to come by this place with a couple of friends. So we made a booking and ordered a couple of things to share amongst the four of us.


Crisp Potato, Fenugreek Mayonnaise, Curry Leaf
Parmesan Cheese & Caramelised Onion Gougères
Fries, Aioli
We started the night with a few small bites, which were visually tickling our fancy to gobble them all up quickly as we were quite famished. But of course, whipping out our cameras and phones, they must enjoy first. The horse string fries were perfectly fried and served piping hot with a side of aioli, whereas the two beautifully presented entrees were quite light and delightful to enjoy at the beginning of our meal. I was really drawn to the parmesan cheese and caramelised onion gougères, but the flavours were a little light to what I was expecting in my head. 

Glazed Pork Neck, Pickled Grapes, Kale, Celeriac

Fish special

Rangers Valley Rump, Pepper Sauce

Orecchiette, Mushroom Butter, Egg Yolk, Pangrattato

Moreton Bay Bug Roll
As the main dishes started arriving, we were all excited to dig in. The rump and pork neck was cooked perfectly, tender and juicy, however flavour-wise not much impact to move me. The fish special was a little disappointing as it was overcooked, leaving a dry texture and bland taste. However, the orecchiette pasta dish was quite lovely and I really enjoyed the harmonious and rich flavours between the egg yolk, mushroom and butter and that extra crunch from the pangrattato. The Moreton bay bug roll, looked kind of like a lobster roll, was refreshing and delightful as the yuzu mayonnaise cut through any heaviness of the dish, bringing out the sweetness from the bay bug meat.

Overall, my experience at Monopole was satisfactory, however, I do not see myself coming back for another round any time soon as I personally found there wasn't a dish that really stood out and moved my tastebuds. It was a lovely time sharing this meal with my friends, and I did hear their wine selection is quite exquisite, unfortunately, I did not get the chance to try anything as I was the designated driver for the evening. 

16-20 Curtin Pl, Sydney NSW 2000
PH: (02) 8080 9144
Opening Hours:  Wed - Fri: 12 PM - 11 PM | Sat: 6 PM - 11PM 
Sun - Tues: CLOSED

No comments :

Post a Comment

Feel free to drop a comment(=´∇`=)
Thanks for visiting (♥ó㉨ò)ノ♡