Amuro | Birthday Dinner 🎂


It's late August! August is one of the main celebratory months I have, where I've gone out for a couple of meals to celebrate many birthdays including my own! As for today's post, I'll be sharing my recent experience at あムロ ; Amuro (hereby known as Amuro). Located in Darlinghurst, Amuro is an intimate saké boutique diner with only 20 seats available at one time. They offer a range of boutique saké (nihonshū) and a rotating snack list, so you might not have the same menu items each time you go! 


Additionally, you won't find a written drinks list at Amuro, instead, you'll be chatting with the bartender who will make recommendations based on your preferences and pour you different samples before making your decision. I found this experience quite interactive and informative to learn more about each sake and the company behind them. 


I started the night with a Yuzu Tonic ($14) which was super fragrant when it was placed on my table. The flavours were light and refreshing, making it a delightful drink to begin the night. My friend and I sampled three 'sparkling' sake as my friend wanted something fizzy and light, which we were offered the  Abe Green, Abe Pink and Shuwawawaa. Kei Tokiwa, the director of Amuro who was bartending that night shared the different tasting notes on each one before we decided. 


I opted for a glass of the Abe Pink sake ($30) which used Takane Nishiki rice and had a more fruity-strawberry-like finish, whilst my friend Tony picked the Abe Green ($30) using the Rakufumai which had a more crunchy and powdery finish. While we were waiting for our order, we snacked on some complimentary pickled radish, which had a nice punch of spiciness topped with crispy sesame seeds.  Our first cold dish of the night was their Tako Wasabi ($12), which took us by surprise! The balance of the wasabi-marinated octopus was enhanced with the unique addition of yuzu! It offered a more pleasant refreshing finish, rather than the usual nostril-burning sensation. 


Then came our Fresh Oysters + Shikuwasa ($7/each), where we ordered two Sydney Rocks and two Tasmania Miyagi's. Shikuwasa limes, are a citrus fruit from the island of Okinawa, which is also where I believe Kei said his parents were from? The oysters were very refreshing!


The Raw Scallop + Umeboshi ($26) was absolutely delicious! My friend and I could have had a plate each if we were ordering as much as we had! The scallop was fresh, and the sour-sweet-tangy dressing was quite delicious. Plus the presentation was on point too! 


The hot dishes started coming out, which we started with the Karaage Chicken ($17), cooked twice at different temperatures to get that super juicy, tenderness when you bite through the crispy layer. It is served with a yuzu kosho mayo too. 


Next was their Duck Breast, Red Miso + Plum Sauce ($44). This was one of my favourite dishes of the night. The duck was so tender, juicy and perfectly paired with the red mis and plum sauce. We finished this plate clean, using every bit of the sauce!



As for their Japanese Curry Cuttlefish Balls + Chunky Chilis ($15) probably one of my least favourite dish of the night. It just felt like store-bought fishballs with sauce on one skewer with a total of three. Another dish that we were not a fan of was their Charcoal Quail with Sansho ($36). It just felt it was lacking some flavour? 



Swiftly making its way to our table, the Stockyard MB7+ Wagyu Flank with wasabi soy ($46) was just ready to be devoured. The flank was incredibly tender and juicy, however, I felt the dressing was a little on the heavier side which overpowered the natural flavours of the beef. I didn't get any hint of wasabi in the dressing, which would have helped cut through the overwhelming soy flavours. Nevertheless, it was a delicious dish. 



As for our final dish, we ordered the Mixed Mushroom Rice with Smoked Butter ($22), which smelt and tasted amazing! The aromas of the mushroom and butter coming from the dish made my mouth water as it was placed on our table. 



To end the evening, we shared the Shiisa Monaka Bite ($12) for dessert, which had a cheesecake ganache and yuzu curd. I could taste a hint of Earl Grey, which may be a result of a combination of the two flavours coming together. Fragrant, floral, and delightful. 



Overall I had a really great time at Amuro, chatting, drinking and enjoying the dishes together with my friend. I definitely see myself coming back again to introduce my other friends to this cute little spot. Price-wise we found was quite decent for most of the dishes, but as there is no drink menu you'll have to ask the bartender what this may look like as we were in for a surprise with our sake glasses (but was really delicious so it was fine). The only thing to keep in mind is they do not take reservations until you become a regular customer, so until then it is purely a walk-in-only policy and the condition of entry is to order one drink. Also, note that this spot can be quite busy even during the weekdays so get there early if you can. I cannot wait to come back and bring my bestie here as I know she'll enjoy this place. 

2/255 Crown St. Darlinghurst NSW 2010
Opening Hours: Mon & Tues: CLOSED | Wed - Fri: 4PM - 10 PM | Sat & Sun: 2PM - 10 PM

No comments :

Post a Comment

Feel free to drop a comment(=´∇`=)
Thanks for visiting (♥ó㉨ò)ノ♡